1994 PONTIAC GRAND AM EGR VALVE

• jaef
  • 1994 Pontiac Grand Am

1994 Pontiac Grand Am 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 126, 00 miles

I have noticed that there is moisture or condensation in the manifold on which my EGR valve is mounted. The moisture is also indide the EGR. Where is this moisture or condensation comming from, and can it cause my EGR to malfunction? After changeing both oxygen sensor, and EGR valve, I have failed 2 emissions tests. Can you help?

Sunday, April 13th, 2008 AT 5:51 PM

• Jack42

The moisture can be caused by the fact that hot exhaust and cool intake come together at the EGR valve. What are you failing on the emissions test?

Monday, April 14th, 2008 AT 10:09 AM
  • jaef

I 'm failing the NOx (oxides of nitrogan)
standard is 2.50 this time when I went it was 4.92

Monday, April 14th, 2008 AT 11:50 AM
  • Jack42

Sounds like a lack of EGR operation. Try pulling th evalve on manually with car at idle, should almost stall the engine, if it doesnt the passages are plugged and must be cleaned out. Is this an all electric valve or does it have a vacuum line

Monday, April 14th, 2008 AT 3:09 PM
  • jaef

It is all electric

Monday, April 14th, 2008 AT 4:50 PM
  • Jack42

No codes in the ECM?

Tuesday, April 15th, 2008 AT 4:06 PM
  • jaef

I cant a scanner that goes back that far, and the port sems to be different than most(only has three places to plug pins into). Tried to ground out proper spaces in plug to creat a"12" and get fault codes to come up, but no luck.

Tuesday, April 15th, 2008 AT 6:27 PM
  • Jack42

Might want to call around and find a shop that has a GM-1 connector and can scan it for you, this could greratly help in the search for the no EGR condition. Does the engine run at the proper temp? If not it wont turn on EGR, must be at running temp for the ECM to use the EGR

Wednesday, April 16th, 2008 AT 8:57 AM
  • jaef

Had scan done, intake / Egr parts were carboned up pretty good, Egr was opening correctely but port(s)
wetre clogged. Had carbon cleaned out, hopefully car will now pass emissions, although service engine light did come on after driving 10 miles or so. Any ideas?

Saturday, April 19th, 2008 AT 3:09 PM
  • Jack42

Need to have it scanned again (sorry). Might be something related to the carbon running through the engine when the EGR passages were cleaned.

Sunday, April 20th, 2008 AT 7:30 AM