TIMMING CHAIN COVER SEALS

1997 Pontiac Firebird

ekauppila

October, 26, 2009 AT 6:47 AM

1997 Pontiac Firebird V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 120000 miles

I have an oil leak from the front on the engine. Appears to be coming from the spline shaft seal that connects into the water pump. Leak was not present until I replaced the water pump. Both O-rings are in place on the 2 piece shaft. I think the o-rings are to hold the sline shaft coupler in place. Is that correct? My main question. I think I need to replace the spline shaft seal. Do I need to remove the balancer and distributor pack to get this job done? Do I need to remove the timming chain cover to remove and replace this seal? Is it pressed in? Could the oil leak be coming from behind the Distributor. Is there an oil seal behind the distributor as well. Repair book has no info on this. Only thing they cover is the main seal. No leak there.

dennyp

October, 26, 2009 AT 12:30 PM

There are a total of 3 seals on the cover. The spline shaft seal should be possible to change without removal of the distributor. There is a seal behind the distributor also. Then there is a seal at the balancer.
Most of the oil leaks I see are from the timing cover gasket and oil pan gasket. I recommend cleaning the area with non-chloronated brake cleaner. Then, look to see if you can pinpoint where the leak is coming from.

Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz
Serpentine Belt Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler