IGNITION - NEED HELP

1986 Pontiac Fiero

froster2332

June, 21, 2010 AT 6:10 PM

1986 Pontiac Fiero 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 54000 miles

I have a 86 fiero I got a few weeks ago, it had been sitting for 6 years, I have replaced, fuel pump, fuel filter, ecm fuse, dist cap. Ign coil, spark plugs, rotor, wires, pick up coil and had module tested it is good. And battery of course.

the fuel part is working great
but no spark, how can I check if ignition coil is getting spark?

im not sure what to do next, computer? Wiring harness?
also, the firing order is 1, 3, 4, 2 going clockwise and I belive the 1 is by the belts, where does the one start on cap

please help I have hit a wall

thanks mike

June, 21, 2010 AT 9:42 PM

Hi froster2332, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation

You have replaced the coil -you can test the coil primary and secondary winding resistances to confrim it if its good

Check if you're getting power to the coil positive terminal-let me know what's happening

froster2332

June, 22, 2010 AT 1:35 PM

So I bought a pick up coil and were going to work on the distributor, I took the module out, bracket off and the plate is loose, I am afraid that the thing is frozen up, I can get it about halfway off but then the magnet sucks it back in, I made the marks on the plate and shaft and block to keep timing. So now that I know its not the wiring harness does that mean the ecu is okay? And since the dist cap is getting spark from coil am I going in right direction replacing pick up coil and messing with this?

mike

June, 22, 2010 AT 2:30 PM

Get that taken care of-To check for spark pull the coil wire from the cap and ground it then crank engine do you have spark?

froster2332

June, 22, 2010 AT 5:21 PM

Since there is no spark im going to just get a new distributor, thanks for your assistance

ill get back to you when the distributor is in

June, 22, 2010 AT 5:22 PM

I'll be waiting for your return-Good Luck

froster2332

June, 24, 2010 AT 7:53 PM

Put the new dist in and it got spark, timing seems to be okay, cranked it and no fuel was in the carb. Put some gas in the carb and it fired up,

new problem = fuel pump delivers, carb doesnt recieve? Help

June, 24, 2010 AT 11:37 PM

Is this a Carb or an EFI fuel system? Check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter and fuel pump been sitting there for 6 yrs -check it and get back

froster2332

June, 25, 2010 AT 12:54 PM

I already dropped the tank and replaced fuel pump, pressure is fine

filter was also replaced

the efi sprays into the carb doesnt it?

froster2332

June, 25, 2010 AT 1:01 PM

The fuel system is

throttle body fuel injected

June, 25, 2010 AT 1:54 PM

Have helper crank engine over while looking the injectors is it pulsing? If not and there's power to the injector harness and its not pulsing the computer injector ground driver is defective

Ignition Coil System Test Repair - All Cars
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz ML500