BATTERY DRAIN PROBLEM

1985 Pontiac Fiero

AgArney

September, 25, 2008 AT 12:42 AM

1985 Pontiac Fiero 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

A few months ago I was driving my Fiero into town, about a 15 minute drive. I went into the store came out and my battery was dead. I called my Father and he gave me a jump. Drove it home and let it sit over night. Woke up and the battery was dead again. I used your procedures on checking a drain and the test light checked out ok with a normal draw. I still went ahead and checked fuses again to no avail. I replaced the battery connection terminals and battery cables. Battery was tested at autozone and came out OK. Also checked alternator using a test kit. I unhook the positive end every time I park the car and it starts when I re-attach it. Any ideas?

September, 25, 2008 AT 4:32 AM

If both the battery and alternator tested okay-I recommend you check what's draining the battery overnite try the ammeter method

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_parastic_draw_1_31.jpg

AgArney

September, 29, 2008 AT 3:50 PM

I tested all of the fuses and non of them seemed to trigger anything suspicious. I thought maybe that the terminal posts that I replaced on the battery may have solved the problem so I charged the battery with a battery charger and it started up. I drove it down the street and back and turned it off. I waited a few minutes and attempted to start it again and it was already dead. It seems that the battery is draining on the car itself and not recharging. And after talking to my dad he actually did NOT get the alternator tested due to the fact that on fieros you basically have to take the entire engine out to get to the alternator. I will test it using the methods posted on this website. One other thing though. The negative battery cable ground wire is rusted out and dosent look like its in good condition, is it possible the battery drain could be linked to that?

September, 29, 2008 AT 3:54 PM

Battery draining see below-change the neg. cable and clean the connection points.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_parastic_draw_1_32.jpg

Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Alternator testing done right