CANNOT FIND DRAIN ON BATTERY

1960 Pontiac Catalina

blasep

April, 27, 2009 AT 9:24 PM

1960 Pontiac Catalina V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 70000 miles

I have a lot of questions about this car as I am new to working on old cars. The first problem I would like to solve. There is a drain on the battery that kills it overnight. I pulled all the fuses while watching an ammeter and it did not change. I have a drain of.11 amps. When I disconnect the alternator it drops to.7 amps. Better but still not good. I cannot find the other drain. It has a.7amp drain with the ignition " off" and when I turn the ignition to the on position it drops to about.4amps? Could it be the ignition switch? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

pear69

April, 27, 2009 AT 9:45 PM

Disconnect the starter solonoid and check amperage draw. Then disconnect the starter (battery cable) and check draw. It is unlikely that the ignition switch is to blame. Is the wire harness origional?

blasep

April, 28, 2009 AT 7:16 AM

Ok thanks Ill check the solenoid. Im not sure if the wire harness is original, I think it is. But. There was a fire under the hood and all or most of the wire under the hood was replaced.

Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000