120 PSI OF OIL PRESSURE

2001 Pontiac Bonneville

bug9274

November, 2, 2008 AT 3:34 PM

2001 Pontiac Bonneville 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 99,000 miles

I recently changed the oil and filter on my car. I used the same size filter and put 5 qts of oil back in it. I started the car and checked the oil pressure gauge and was shocked to see it reading 120psi. The engine seems to be running fine and the filter has not popped off. Could it be that the sensor is faulty? I checked to make sure there was not to much oil in the engine as well, dip stick reads just below full.

blackop555

November, 2, 2008 AT 5:18 PM

You might have disconnected it or maybe damaged the sensor when changing the oil, go back and make sure its hooked up.

bug9274

November, 3, 2008 AT 11:24 AM

I went back and looked everything over and even removed the oil filter to see if it was full of oil and it was.

blackop555

November, 3, 2008 AT 3:42 PM

Next thign to do is to use a oil pressure check guage to see if the pressure is actually 120 like the guage says or if its normal.

holbrooka

I had a similar situation, everything fine one day, then noticed the Oil pressure gauge going crazy.

I replace the oil sensor and all was well.

Here is a link from a different thread that shows where it is on a 2000 - hopefully it is the same. It was quite easy to replace - if you remove the oil filter and attack it from below.

Good Luck

blackop555

That should be right, and it is one of the cheaper alternatives even if you decide to replace the senor instead of testing it!

Oil Change and Filter Replacement Toyota
 Oil Change and Filter Replacement Subaru
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes ML350
Engine Oil Change and Filter Saturn Vue
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet
Engine Oil Change and Filter Saturn LS1
Oil Change and Filter Replacement BMW 525i
Engine Oil Change and Filter