2001 PONTIAC AZTEK ENGINE TEMP IS UNSTABLE BUT NOT OVER HEA

• jimw
  • 2001 Pontiac Aztek

Engine Cooling problem
2001 Pontiac Aztek 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 200k miles

So the history goes leak in the intake manifold and plugs misfiring. I replaced the intake gaskets, cleaned the rockers and rods, rebuilt the fuel injectors and replaced the following parts - plugs, wires, egr pipe (cracked) water pump, belt, thermostat. Drained and replaced oil and filter. Everything back together and started. Engine fired right up and I could smell gas noticed a fuel leak in the pressure regulater so I replaced. Filled coolant system with just water want to flush before adding coolant. Started engine no gas leak and it sounds good. I opened the bleeder on the bypass pipe and the thermostat housing to bleed the air. Drove the car about 5 miles and opened the hood and the engine was very hot smoking from below but I think its just hot. How do I verify the new water pump is working correctly?

Tuesday, October 14th, 2008 AT 8:52 PM

• Jacobandnickolas

Hi: If the waterpump is turning with the belt, it's working. Did the engine overheat according to the temp gauge?

Tuesday, December 23rd, 2008 AT 7:49 AM