1999 Plymouth Voyager Speedometer/Transmission issue

Tiny
WPHILLIPS
  • MEMBER
  • 1999 PLYMOUTH VOYAGER
1999 Plymouth Voyager Automatic

Roughly 75%(the other 25% of the time everything works fine right away) of the time when I start my car after it has been off for a long time(like when I get in it to go to work at 9, and it has been parked since 5.) I have some trouble with the speedometer. It will jump around, and sometimes will even max out. This problem has causes the car to shift iregullary, and the service engine light has come on a few times with a transmission fault code thrown. This period of the speedometer jumping around, and sticky shifting will last a few minutes(And sometimes I have to turn the car off to get it out of the failsafe mode where it will stay in second gear.) But eventually the speedometer will start working perfectly, and there is no shifitng problems(which is why I am guessing that the problem with shifting is tied to the speedometer issue). One strange thing is that I often have this problem in the morning when I am going to work, but it has never happened when I am leaving work. Does this sound like an issue with the vehicle speed sensor. Also do you know any reason why there would be an intermitant malfunction such as this.
Do you
have the same problem?
Yes
No
Friday, June 26th, 2009 AT 12:32 PM

5 Replies

Tiny
OBXAUTOMEDIC
  • EXPERT
Hello,

It could be the Vehicle Speed Sensor causing your problem if you have the 2.4L engine.

If you have the 3.0, 3.3 or 3.8 it could be the Input and/or the Output Speed Sensor. These sensors going bad will cause you vehicle to go into Failsafe.

What code did you get?

.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
-1
Friday, June 26th, 2009 AT 12:54 PM
Tiny
WPHILLIPS
  • MEMBER
I did not right the code down, but I will check it tonight. I believe that it is a 3.3L engine.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
-1
Friday, June 26th, 2009 AT 2:43 PM
Tiny
WPHILLIPS
  • MEMBER
One other thing that might help is I have noticed that when I am applying the gas the speed is much more likely to be correct. Often I will apply the gas, it will show the correct speed, and then I will remove my foot from the gas and the speedometer will start to flucuate a little.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
+1
Friday, June 26th, 2009 AT 2:46 PM
Tiny
WPHILLIPS
  • MEMBER
Hello,

It could be the Vehicle Speed Sensor causing your problem if you have the 2.4L engine.

If you have the 3.0, 3.3 or 3.8 it could be the Input and/or the Output Speed Sensor. These sensors going bad will cause you vehicle to go into Failsafe.

What code did you get?

.[/Quote:1464c2dbf9]

Ok here are the codes that I got There was a p0700, a p0720, a p0731, and ap0732.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
+1
Friday, June 26th, 2009 AT 5:36 PM
Tiny
OBXAUTOMEDIC
  • EXPERT
Ok, here are the code defs.....

P0700 Transmission Control System Malfunction

P0720 Output Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction

P0730 Incorrect Gear Ratio

P0731 Gear 1 Incorrect ratio

Since you are getting all these code it is possible that the TCM is malfunctioning. However, you could try replacing the Input and Output Sensors, the cost for them would be less that $50 and they are pretty easy to change.

If that doesn't fix it then most likely it's the TCM (Transmission Control Module/Computer). You would probably have to get it from the dealer and it will run about $300.

Here is were they are located....


http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/188069_99voyagerinputoutput_1.jpg



.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
+1
Friday, June 26th, 2009 AT 7:34 PM

Please login or register to post a reply.

Recommended Guides