1998 Plymouth Voyager Engine cuts out - Alarm?

DOCSTER28
  • 1998 PLYMOUTH VOYAGER
1998 Plymouth Voyager Automatic 120000 miles

I hope you can help! I am at my wits end and have 2 dealers stumped. I have a 1998 plymouth grand voyager expresso minivan. I have 2 problems. They happen intermittently and I never know when it will happen.
First: My engine will start and then stop right away. It will do it a few times and then not even turn over. I've had the starter and battery both replaced. Jumping the car does not help. The "Alarm Set" light stays illuminated. It almost seems like the alarm is cutting the engine off. Sometimes if I hit the dashboard it will start again. Sometimes if I use my remote and lock/unlock a bunch of times it will start again. Other times it seems to just need to sit there for awhile and it "resets." However I never know if this will be minutes or hours. The last dealership said they went through every connection and did not find anything. Of course it wouldn't do the problem while there either. Ideas?

Second: periodically my ABS light will illuminate and then my gauges will all zero out. This will stay sometimes for a minute, sometimes until I turn the car off and on again, and sometimes for a couple of days even. It will sometimes go back to normal, if you again hit the dash, but other times it doesn't help. Ideas?
Wednesday, April 9th, 2008 AT 5:08 PM

JACK42
Has anyone ever gotten any codes out of the PCM? Sounds like it could bea problem with the BCM (body Control Module) setting the alarm. Has the dealer done a full diagnostic on it?
Thursday, April 10th, 2008 AT 3:10 PM
DOCSTER28
They told me they have done a full diagnostic. The last time it was at the dealership they had it for an etire week and they told me they also went through every single connection. One of the mechanics told me the vehicle did not have an alarm though? Which I find strange as the "alarm set" indicator light is present and illuminates when this problem occurs.

Would a problem with the BCM be intermittent? Is that a releatively easy fix?

Could that also be the cause of the gauges zeroing out periodically?
Thursday, April 10th, 2008 AT 3:30 PM
DOCSTER28
I stopped at autozone this morning to have the check engine light analyzed (but this I believe is due to the gauses problem and not the intermittent alarm/stopping thing and the code was

P1698

does that help?

A friend of my father's suggested it sounds like the ignition switch is worn, but that doesn't make any logical sense to me
Friday, April 11th, 2008 AT 9:13 AM
BLACKOP555
1698

it is as jack says, a BCM problem. If it was me at this point I would bring it in and have it fixed at a dealer.

Or unless jack can pull up some diagrams for you to try and test with.
Monday, April 14th, 2008 AT 12:16 PM
JACK42
I have replaced alot of switches in Dodges, test to see if it is giving 12 volts out of it. If it is then you might want to find a shop that specializes in electrical problems
Monday, April 14th, 2008 AT 3:11 PM