Windshield wipers do not work

DALE BEAUDET
  • 1996 PLYMOUTH VOYAGER

Hi, nice site.
My problem is the front windshield wipers will not work.
I have checked fuse under dash and in fuse/relay block under hood; both okay.
Replaced multi-switch: wiper, washer, bright lights, turn signal.
Replaced both relays under hood.
At the wiring connector for the wipers under hood I am able to get wipers to run by jumping from the positive battery post to the brown wire with white stripe.
I am at a loss!

Wednesday, September 20th, 2006 AT 2:16 PM

DALE BEAUDET

My mechanic said that problem is probably the "body control module" behind the interior fuse/relay panel.
Just got one from salvage yard, about to install.

-2
Wednesday, September 20th, 2006 AT 4:11 PM
PUTERMIZER3
  • 1998 PLYMOUTH VOYAGER
  • MERGED

Six cylinder two wheel drive automatic 98,000 miles

Help! This is what I have done so far and what is going on. I had a problem first with the instrument panel going out. I changed panel and nothing then changed BCM and bingo working panel, but now wipers do not work. I checked all fuses there okay. Checked relays there okay. No power to the wiper motor, ran a hot wire to check anyway and it is okay works. Checked power to switch and plenty. Checked ohms coming from BCM. It was able to jump the switch to work the hi/low relay, but not wipers. Where do I go from here? Do I change the whole turn/wiper/wash flasher switch on the column? Or am I looking for something else? Oh, and I also checked grounds, cleaned battery terminals, and fully charged battery. Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, January 11th, 2017 AT 3:29 PM
JAMES W.
  • MERGED

If fuse 19, your "wiper on" and "hi/lo" relays are good, it has to be the switch. The wipers should work on high/low even it the delay function in the multi-function switch is bad.

PUTERMIZER3
  • MERGED

Thanks. I hope we are right. $100.00 switch. I will let you know if it works. :-)

JAMES W.
  • MERGED

Before you go out and spend that $100.00 make darn sure the "wiper on" and "high/low" relays are good.

PUTERMIZER3
  • MERGED

Allready checked them both work fine.

JAMES W.
  • MERGED

Okay, sounds like you know what you are doing. Just wanted to make sure. Let me know what shakes.

PUTERMIZER3
  • MERGED

Yes, I definately will. I am searching online now for the switch hoping to get a better deal then the local parts place. :-) Yes, I am an older vech mechanic learning this new computer stuff. I just wanted to make sure that I cross all the t's and dotted all the i's.

JAMES W.
  • MERGED

I would not be afraid of used if you can find one. As a rule, they very rarely go bad.

NTHIMS87
  • 1992 PLYMOUTH VOYAGER
  • MERGED

I need help trying to figure out what needs to be replaced before I dish out too much money. Yesterday my front windshield wipers blades worked in the morning. Later that day I gave a jump start to a friend, closed the hood and it started to rain. I tried to turn on the wipers and it was making the noise like it was trying but the blades would not move. I had to physically move blades to clear window to drive. It says I am out of windshield washer fluid and it still makes sound like it is. So, we checked the fuses, they were all good, replaced it just in case anyways. Still, the blades wont move when I turn them on. Please help!

Nicole

PUTERMIZER3
  • MERGED

I was thinking the same thing my only concern would be if I bought a used one and it still did not work I would be wonder whether or not the new used switch was bad or still have another problem. As to where a new switch I know if it works great and if not I got a major problem some where else. I have been reading the post's on the Voyager and I am seeing lots of unsolved problems with the wipers, instrument clusters and so on.

• MERGED

Welcome to the forum, If the wiper motor is not working, I would check voltage at the wiper motor. Red wire with yellow tracer is voltage for high speed, use a test light to check for voltage. Brown wire with white tracer is voltage for low speed. Check either one or both for voltage. Take electrical connector loose from wiper motor, turn the key on, you should not have to start it, turn wiper setting to low, use test light on wire already mentioned. If no voltage, fuse five 20 amp in fuse box, should be for wiper. Other possibilities, wiper linkage is hung-up, wiper motor is faulty, My information did show a 9 amp circuit breaker on ground side of wiper motor, not sure if that is replaceable or part of motor?

JAMES W.
  • MERGED

We get a "lot" of posts for Voyager and Caravan electrical problems. I think the only that is worse is Saturn. On the Chrysler products it is mostly ignition and lighting.

PUTERMIZER3
  • MERGED

Okay, got the new wiper switch. Still not working. Where to next?

JAMES W.
  • MERGED

I have not forgotten about you. I am having problems with my resource program and hope to have it back up yet today. As soon as I get it back, I will get back to you.

JAMES W.
  • MERGED

It seems strange that the wipers quit "after" you changed the BCM. Was the BCM new or used? Do you have a wiring diagram for the wiper/washer system? If not, if you have, or have access to, a fax number I can ship you one. I can attach it to this post but they do not through very clearly. If the relays and fuses are good, and the switch is new, The only thing left is the BCM. Let me know.

DENNIS FAHLEN
  • 1996 PLYMOUTH VOYAGER
  • 113 MILES
  • MERGED

After turning on the wipers, they will swipe four or five times then quit. If I hold in the washer button, they will keep running as long as I hold in the button but quit again when releasing the washer button. Any suggestions?

PUTERMIZER3
  • MERGED

Okay replaced BCM again, the wipers and everything worked great for about a week. Now lights and horn are flashing like I have an alarm system and it will not start. (No alarm system) turn key on lights and horn flash, but no start. All electrical stuff work.

• MERGED

Body computer. The insane engineers can no longer make a simple wiper motor work with complicating the circuit with an unnecessary computer. The result is lots of expensive failures and repair bills. You might want to plug in a multi function switch from a salvage yard first to be sure it is not the cause, but suspect the body computer.

Please consider a donation if we helped you
NCNIGA
  • 1999 PLYMOUTH VOYAGER
  • MERGED

My vehicle has 140,000 miles and has a 3.3L. A couple of days ago, the right windshield wiper stopped working. I removed it, and I saw that the little bolt that comes out of the wiper motor was worn off. Do I have to replace the whole motor, or can I just replace the bolt and the windshield wiper arm? Thanks for your help.