1993 Plymouth Voyager cooling fan switch

Engine Cooling problem
1993 Plymouth Voyager 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 18000 miles

I am having a problem with the cooling fan. It is not working and I can't seem to find the cooling fan switch 0n the engine. Not sure if that is the problem, but it seems like that would be the first place to start. Can you help? I am at a loss trying to find the switch. If there was an IPB of the engine It would truly help. Just do not know where to find one.

Friday, April 10th, 2009 AT 5:33 PM

There's two temperature sensors on the side of the thermostat housing. The one with the single wire is for the gauge on the instrument cluster. The one with two wires is for the engine computer. The computer will turn on the radiator fan relay and the "Check Engine" light when you unplug this sensor. The computer doesn't know actual engine temperature with the sensor unplugged so it runs the fan as a precaution in case the engine is overheating. The Check Engine light is turned on per government mandate because any sensor problem can result in excessive emissions.

To test the system, just unplug that two-wire sensor. If you hear the fan relay click about one or two seconds later, but the fan doesn't run, check for proper operation of the backup lights. If they work, suspect a bad fan motor. Unplug the fan and run a pair of wires directly from the battery to test its operation. If the backup lights and the fan do not work, suspect a burned-open fuse link in the harness next to the left strut tower. Possible causes are a shorted fan motor or a wiring harness under the battery tray has rubbed through so bare wires are touching bare metal.

Saturday, April 11th, 2009 AT 2:47 AM