ENGINE MECHANICAL PROBLEM1979 PLYMOUTH VOLARE 6...

1979 Plymouth Volare

poppadot

June, 18, 2009 AT 1:21 PM

1979 Plymouth Volare 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

I have a 79 plymouth volare that has been sitting for two years and if I put gas in the carbarator it cranks but turns off in a few seconds

Wiring Issue?

caradiodoc

June, 19, 2009 AT 8:05 PM

Because of the long intake runners, you can dump a lot of fuel in without flooding it. At low cranking rpm, little fuel liquid will be drawn in, and the fuel vapor, which is what the engine needs to run on, will last longer.

I used to purposely run my '80 Volare out of fuel, then put in a measured gallon to figure out my fuel mileage. Once the line from the tank is empty, the pump will not draw fuel from the tank at that low cranking rpm.

All you have to do is keep dumping gas down the carburetor until it draws fuel from the tank and stays running.

Also, if you find that the engine starts instantly the second, third, etc. Start of each day, but it has a real long crank time first thing in the morning, fuel is evaporating out of the carburetor's float bowl over night and going into the charcoal canister. There is a check valve available to prevent that problem. I found a valve in the salvage yard but never put it in my car yet. There is a service bulletin that addresses this issue.

Oil Change & Filter Ford Explorer 2000-2005
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Toyota
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Honda Element
Brake Shoe/Drum Replacement - Rear
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Engine Oil Change and Filter GMC Sierra