STALLING

1986 Plymouth Reliant

superdude

November, 9, 2009 AT 3:16 PM

1986 Plymouth Reliant 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

sudden loss of power while driving like engine wants to stall or cut out then quickly resumes normal running, engine stalls at red lights, loss of power indicator dash light comes or periodically. We have a new distributor/rotar/plugs & wires/air filter on the car. When it is running normaly it runs very well. No cylinders missing or anything of that nature. It has been suggested to me that it may be a " speed variance control sensor" on the tranny that may be the problem. Any help is appreciated, Thank you. Bruce.

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

caradiodoc

December, 12, 2009 AT 7:33 AM

Did you get this fixed yet? Sorry I didn't see this sooner.

Suspect the Hall Effect pickup assembly in the distributor. They usually fail completely but they can be intermittent.

There is no such thing as a " speed variance control sensor" on the tranny". I've never heard of that on a Chrysler product. They have a speed sensor but it doesn't have any effect on how the engine runs. If it's defective on an '86 model, the only obvious symptom would be the cruise control doesn't work. Your speedometer is run by a cable yet. They did that through the '88 model year.