REAR BRAKE DRUM REMOVAL

1959 Plymouth

john46236

April, 6, 2008 AT 6:25 PM

Tires and Wheels problem
1959 Other Plymouth Models 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual

have 1939 P8 Plymouth coupe; want to remove rear drums to check brakes; repair book notes requires removal tool although no details. I fabricated one that pulls from lug bolts against the center axle; put lot of pressure on it but won't budge. Want to confirm if the lugs are the right thing to be pulling against, really hard to tell and book doesn't help. Haven't tried heating hub or anything. Don't want to break anything. Really can't see anything else to pull against although I don't know what the specified tool may look like. Had to specify '59 since nothing older. If you worked on 59's then you probably worked on these.

blackop555

April, 6, 2008 AT 9:16 PM

Will the hub turn freely or does it feel like the brakes are locked up?

john46236

April, 7, 2008 AT 6:26 PM

I can jump in the car and drive it fine, so hub turns fine. Breaks just soft and front were good. Just want to get rear drum off to inspect.

blackop555

April, 7, 2008 AT 6:41 PM

With the tire off, try to turn the drum by hands, it should turn untill the differential engages, if it wont budge at all the brakes are locked on. If it turns good and easily by hand, try spraying penetrating oil all over the inside of the drum center and let it soak, then you can heat it up with a torch and pound on the inside and then use your puller to pull it off.

Gear_head

September, 2, 2008 AT 2:13 PM

John,

any luck with these drums? I recently acquired a '39 as well and can't figure out the rear drums. I have yet to get the heat or 5,000 lb puller out.

BTW, I'm a blue oval guy and this is my first experience with the dark side.

GH

Brake Shoe/Drum Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front BMW M3
Brake Pads/Rotor Replacement Chevy Silverado
Brake Pad/Brake Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement - Front