CHECK ENGINE LIGHT AND ENGINE CUT OUT

1993 Plymouth Laser

ewolak

July, 15, 2010 AT 11:26 AM

1993 Plymouth Laser 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 156, 00 miles

While driving on the highway or any road with bumps my engine light comes on for a few seconds and at the same time my engine seems to cut out, the rpms drop and light comes on, it has only been for a few seconds but now my engine light came on and stayed on for minutes.

July, 15, 2010 AT 12:47 PM

You should be able to check for mil codes. Cycle the key, on--off, on--off, on, then the mil starts flashing, you count the flashes to get the codes. Your looking for two digit codes.

ewolak

July, 15, 2010 AT 1:17 PM

I believe that only worked with the chrysler system and a analog volt meter is needed for these systems and you have to count the long and short pulses, but the volt meter is not available.

ewolak

July, 15, 2010 AT 1:17 PM

July, 15, 2010 AT 1:38 PM

I double checked with MOD, you are correct, it says to use a voltmeter. You might be able to use a light emitting diode for a testlite instead of voltmeter. Then watch the lite flash, I don't know what the difference would be? You need to use a resistor with led. Radioshack sells them, don't cost very much. I have several in my tool box.