INTERIOR PROBLEM1971 PLYMOUTH FURY V8 TWO WHEEL...

1971 Plymouth Fury

kbeucke

March, 28, 2010 AT 4:34 PM

Interior problem
1971 Plymouth Fury V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 100000 miles

I broke the key off in the ignition. What do I need to do now? Does the steering wheel have to be removed if so how do I do that?

caradiodoc

March, 28, 2010 AT 4:52 PM

Place a large rubber band around the column. Slide two strips of heavy paper on either side of the key inside the cylinder. Put a small dab of epoxy on the end of the handle part of the key. Slide the handle in and hold it in place with the rubber band. The paper will prevent the epoxy from gluing the key to the cylinder.

kbeucke

March, 28, 2010 AT 5:00 PM

The only thing is I am not sure being an old Plymouth I am not sure if I put the key in upside down like I was suppose to. So I am not sure which way the broken off part is upside down or right side up.

caradiodoc

March, 28, 2010 AT 6:35 PM

Doesn't really matter. You're just trying to glue something to the broken part so you can pull it out. A piece of wire would work too instead of the key handle but it's harder to hold in place until the epoxy sets.

The teeth go up, so try to keep the glue away from them so the tumblers don't get glued.

Replace Your Turn Signal Switch Like a Pro
Power Steering Fluid Change Kia Sportage
Power Steering Fluid Flush Acura MDX 2000-200