IDLE ADJUSTMENT

1991 Plymouth Acclaim

freedom2831

June, 15, 2010 AT 12:32 AM

1991 Plymouth Acclaim 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 112000 miles

How do I adjust the idle speed?

caradiodoc

June, 15, 2010 AT 5:40 AM

Hi freedom2831. Welcome to the forum. The idle speed is not adjustable. What is the symptom or problem? Is the idle speed too fast or too low? Does the engine stall at stop signs? If so, was the battery recently disconnected or run dead?

freedom2831

June, 15, 2010 AT 9:30 AM

The idle speed is too slow. The engine sometimes stalls at stop lights unless I shift into neutral. After the engine is completely warmed up, the oil light comes on at stop lights if I don't shift into neutral. The battery was recently replaced.

caradiodoc

June, 16, 2010 AT 5:08 AM

Dandy news. The Engine Computer loses its mind when the battery is disconnected and has to relearn minimum throttle. To do that, drive at highway speed with the engine warmed up, then coast for at least seven seconds without touching the brake or gas pedals. The high manifold vacuum for that long is the signal for the computer to memorize the voltage from the throttle position sensor. From then on, whenever it sees the same voltage, it will know your foot is off the gas pedal and it has to be in control of idle speed.

Sorry for the delay in replying. My Verizon e-mail system keeps going down, often for a day at a time. Without e-mail, I can't get the automated messages that direct me to your last reply.

Clean Idle Air Control Ford Super Duty 5.4L
Easily Clean Your Throttle Bore Like a Pro