Play in parking brake handle while in resting position

NGB5548
  • 2011 NISSAN FRONTIER
I noticed for the first time today that my parking brake has some play when in the resting position. It starts clicking about one to two inches when pulling it up. But when it is resting it seems like it can be pushed down further past it's resting position, though it doesn't stay there. Also, if it just needs to be tightened, is that something that is typically covered by a warranty? I have a warranty up to 36,000 miles, but not sure if this is normal wear and tear. Thanks.
Thursday, November 14th, 2013 AT 9:21 PM

Very doubtful that will covered under warranty because nothing is actually broken, but call the dealer's service department to be sure. Chrysler had some deals a while back that covered scheduled maintenance that was listed in the owner's manual, and other manufacturers may have done something similar. I got free oil changes and air filters on one of my cars. The dealer was reimbursed under Chrysler's warranty, but those things weren't considered warranty repairs.

Brake system components, in most cases, are considered normal wear items and aren't covered under warranty by any manufacturer. That mainly applies to linings, meaning pads and shoes. Drums and rotors might be covered for warping, but not for wear. The exception to the linings is when they wear out due to some other part that IS covered, like a sticking caliper. Those things are very rare today because everyone has had decades to prefect brake parts, and they give very little trouble.

On the other hand, when any repairs are done under warranty, those services and parts are supposed to return the vehicle to "like new" condition. You have a stretched parking brake cable, which is a normal wear item that requires a simple adjustment, but if the dealer is told by the manufacturer that needs to be adjusted under warranty, they will gladly do it.

Be aware too there are some car models that have an automatic-adjusting ratcheting assembly on the parking brake handle. A gum wrapper can get stuck between two teeth, the grease can become gooey preventing the spring-loaded lever from moving freely, and things like that. That could be considered as "not working properly", and would likely be covered under warranty. The problem is most manufacturers don't allow repairs to parts under warranty. To insure the quality of the repair, they usually demand parts or assemblies be replaced, not repaired, even when the fix is simple. That can turn into tearing a lot of the interior apart to replace the assembly.
Thursday, November 14th, 2013 AT 10:25 PM
NGB5548
Turns out that A) it is not covered under warranty but B) it was the glove around the handle that was causing the lever to not fully rest-it was gathered around the base in a weird way and just needed to be reworked.
Friday, November 15th, 2013 AT 3:35 PM
Dandy. Happy to hear it was such an easy fix.
Saturday, November 16th, 2013 AT 12:54 AM