1999 PEUGEOT 106 ELECTRICAL & PERFORMANCE - ARE THEY LI

• Awright82
  • 1999 PEUGEOT 106

1999 Peugeot 106 Front Wheel Drive Manual 106000 miles

Hi, this a bit of a long winded mystery that I am sure my local garage think i'm making up!

My Peugeot has a few troubles which I think may be related. The car radio stopped working, the headlamps blow every time the full beam is on (the one you use when there are no street lights), all lights internal and external intermittently shine brighter than they should and when this happens the wipers go crazy fast, the fan heaters sound manic and the power sucks away from the car losing approx 4-5mph and not being able to climb back up (as if the gas pedal is stuck, but its not). It seems worse when sat in traffic because when setting off like this, it crawls at a snails pace.

The battery light blinks too when the above is happening but the battery was replaced for new 2 months ago.

I've also recently noticed an eggy smell coming through the heaters and when I get out of the car.

Even sometimes the car alarm will go off for a few seconds whilst driving down the road!

I'm sure they're may be a simple explanation but I have little knowledge of cars but I reckon its all linked.

Any thoughts welcome? Thanks

Tuesday, January 19th, 2010 AT 8:49 AM

• Dave H

I would start by having the alternator checked for the electrical issues. The eggy smell is due to a blocked catalytic convertor which needs replacing

Thursday, January 28th, 2010 AT 4:22 AM
  • Awright82

Hi, thanks for your reply.
Its sat at the garage at the moment. Turns out that there's a drain on the battery which is stopping it dead. The alternator has been with the auto-electricain this week and the garage seem to reckon its been solved. I guess I'll find out when I pick it up, hopefully later today.

Thanks again and I'll update soon.

Thursday, January 28th, 2010 AT 4:26 AM