PCM and ECM issues

WALTER STAROSCIK
  • 2000 PONTIAC GRAND AM
If I replace the BCM and PCM with used ones that they both came out of same car and the car was same year, make, and model does it have to be reprogrammed and do I have to change the PROM and if I do change the PROM will that avoid having to reprogram?
Monday, February 3rd, 2020 AT 8:00 PM

ASEMASTER6371
Good morning,

There is no prom in the ECM. That stopped in 1995.

Yes, they must be programmed to your car and the VIN. If you do not, certain functions will not work and you will get codes for VIN mismatch.

They both need to be done.

Why are you replacing them?

+1
Tuesday, February 4th, 2020 AT 5:06 AM
WALTER STAROSCIK
I am replacing them because it started out with a bunch of the warning lights on dash coming on and then the chime buzzer started coming on and it got worse it started staying on almost all the time. So annoying and I was told that that is what the problem was and that if I changed one that I would have to change the other. So I went to wrecking yard and got them both out of same car that was same year and everything, but now I keep getting the check engine light and it keeps telling me different codes every time it goes on. I'm trying to get it smoked but I can't the car only has about 70,000 miles on it.
Wednesday, February 12th, 2020 AT 9:51 AM
WALTER STAROSCIK
I just replaced o2 sensors and now it is telling me that bank 1 sensor is not heating up correctly.
Wednesday, February 12th, 2020 AT 9:56 AM
ASEMASTER6371
Okay, can you please list the codes for me?

Wednesday, February 12th, 2020 AT 10:02 AM

Sponsored links