Often times, the latch lever will accidentally be in the closed position or the linkage to the latch assembly is stuck or damaged.
First, hold the inner door handle in the open position and confirm that the latch on the assembly is open. You may need to try moving it by hand. If this isn't the issue, the latch lever will move back automatically by itself when you hold the door handle open.
If that doesn't chance things, you will need to remove the inner door panel to see if something is stuck, damaged, bent and so on.
Here are the directions for interior panel removal. The attached pics correlate with the directions.
1. Using special tool C-4755 or equivalent, gently pry upward on trim panel disengaging trim clips from door (1).
2. Remove mirror flag (2) from door (1).
2008 Dodge Avenger V6-3.5L
Front Door Trim Panel - Removal
Vehicle Body and Frame Doors, Hood and Trunk Doors Front Door Front Door Panel Service and Repair Removal and Replacement Front Door Trim Panel Front Door Trim Panel - Removal
FRONT DOOR TRIM PANEL - REMOVAL
1. Remove side view mirror flag See: Front Door Panel > Removal and Replacement > Removal.
2. Remove inside pull handle See: Front Door Interior Handle > Removal and Replacement > Front Door Interior Handle - Removal.
3. Remove screw (1) from inside door handle.
4. Using trim stick C-4755 or equivalent, gently pry trim panel upward from door.
Once you remove the panel, check all attaching linkages between the door handles and the door latch assembly. Let me know what you find. Also, in order to access the linkages, make sure to have the window in the full upward position.
Let me know if you have questions.
Images (Click to enlarge)
Friday, February 14th, 2020 AT 1:20 PM