HEAD GASKET?

1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette

renee1123

January, 31, 2010 AT 9:15 AM

Engine Cooling problem
1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette 6 cyl Automatic 108000 miles

i recently bought a 98 oldsmobile sillouhette (108,000 miles) the temp. Gage was bouncing from 1/4 all the way up to the red and back down again but didnt overheat however the other day it went from 1/4 all the way to the red and overheated and this happened a few more times on my way home.I took it in and they replaced a hose for the radiator that was leaking. When I picked it up I tried to take it for a ride the next day and again it went from 1/4 to 3/4 and I took it staight home and parked it. Could this be a thermostat problem or a head gasket problem?How much am I looking at spending for a head gasket?

ndirish88

September, 1, 2010 AT 2:13 PM

I have been having similar issues with my '98 Silhouette. I replaced a leaking hose a the bottom of the radiator but the temp gauge still does the same thing. Any words of wisdom out there.

cclark523

I just had mine replaced today. $713 out the door.

Air Filter Replacement
Engine Oil Change and Filter
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Toyota