OLDS ALERO -- HUMMING NOISE

2002 Oldsmobile

jstock31

February, 6, 2007 AT 7:54 PM

I have a 2002 Olds Alero with 80,000 miles and a V6-engine. About a month and a half ago, I had the transmission flushed, changed the fuel filter, and got new break pads and rotors. A couple weeks after I had these repairs done, I started to hear a humming noise while driving. It starts out low when I hit 15-20 miles per hour and increases in both pitch and volume the faster I drive. Also, I've noticed a dramatic decrease in my miles per gallon. Before the repairs, I was getting about 28 mpg (mostly highway driving). Now I am getting only about 20 mpg at most. I took my car in to ask about the noise and the decrease in mpg and they said I probably needed a couple new tires, so I purchsed two Yokohama tires. The noise has not stopped and I am still getting low mpg. Also, I change my oil regularly and I have not been advised to perform any other maintenance. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Service Writer

February, 6, 2007 AT 9:01 PM

After you drive it, go to each wheel and feel for significant heat differences among them, sounds like a brake may be dragging, regarding the fuel miliage.

The hum may be a wheel bearing going bad, does it change if you steer to the left or to the right?

If those spark plugs are original, I get those changed. But not untl the first two problems are resolved.

jstock31

February, 9, 2007 AT 8:03 AM

Thanks for the response. I noticed a difference in the humming noise when I steer. When I turn slightly to the right (ie - changing lanes on the highway), the noise is louder and there is a slight vibration. Also, the car makes a faint high pitch noise when I turn left at higher speeds (ie - an on/off ramp on the highway).

These problems only started after I took my car into the shop to get brakes. Could it be that they messed something up?

Service Writer

February, 9, 2007 AT 8:27 PM

Not in my opinion...That is any correlation between the bearing and the brakes. Thank the wonderful GM engineers on tha one.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_unhappy_1.jpg

We have replaced many alero bearing assys.--get a tiken brand!

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_fonzi_2.jpg

Coolant Drain and Refill Chevrolet Tahoe
Engine Oil Change and Filter Acura TSX
Brake Pads/Rotor Replacement Chevy Silverado
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Honda Accord
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet