FLUSHING COOLANT SYSTEM

2000 Oldsmobile

rick48

September, 29, 2008 AT 9:34 PM

Engine Cooling problem
2000 Other Oldsmobile Models 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 156000 miles

I have a 2000 Silhouette which I love and now has 156,000 miles; still looks and runs perfectly, which you might consider unusual since I use it for a work van. Anyway, I have recently noticed the temperature gauge is reading above normal (it usually stays just above the lowest reading); when checking the owners' manual I found that there is no procedure for flushing and refilling the coolant sytem. By the way, it reads above normal even when not using the A/C. What do you suggest?

legitimate007

September, 29, 2008 AT 9:42 PM

I would first try replacing the thermostat. (Cheapest first). With a slightly lower temperature. That should clear it up. If not I would then flush it, buy a bottle of radiator flush and all the directions are right on the bottle. Should not need to do anything more than what Ive just explained, but in the event that it does not change anything, I would then test the engine coolant temperature sensor and have it replaced if necessary. Still fairly cheap. And last but not least, you may then need to replace the radiator, but I dont think its gonna come to that, but then of course, before doing all of this, check fluids(oil, coolant) to make sure they are at their proper levels, because that will definitely make your engine run hot, and change airfilter if it is dirty

Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500