1991 OTHER OLDSMOBILE MODELS 6 CYL AUTOMATIC ...

1991 Oldsmobile

daisey1946

May, 27, 2008 AT 12:10 AM

1991 Other Oldsmobile Models 6 cyl Automatic

Chasing a ghost! Never happens when there's a mechanic around.

When I come to a stop light the car stutters, like a stick without using the clutch, and dies. Engine starts right up but dies when I put it into gear. After sitting for some time it starts up, goes into gear and drives fine until the next time; sometimes a week or 2 later. Idles fine.

Had it towed to a shop where they replaced the fuel pump and filter. Over half of my monthly Social Security check and it happened again before I got home. Went back the next morning but it wouldn't die when there was a mechanic and a scope around.

merlin2021

May, 27, 2008 AT 6:24 AM

If it starts right up, why did you tow it? Does it not drive? Is your service engine light on, or flashing?
Could be a sticky EGR, faulty Idle air control, or maybe even a shaky engine coolant temp sensor.
Igntion mod on the way out?

MYOLDSISCRAP

May, 31, 2008 AT 10:59 AM

MY FUEL LINES ARE SHOT NOW BUT 7 MTHS AGO I HAD TO REPLACE THE IGNITION MODULE THATS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE IT IS.

Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Pressure Test