1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass IGNITION WILL NOT TURN!

JHARRIS1385
  • 1998 OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS
1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

I left to enter a store put the car in park and everything like normal.

I come out to my car and the key will not turn to start the engine. I had AAA out there as well we turned the wheel to the left and tried, we turned the wheel to the right and tried, we tried to shift but could not. Please help as a locksmith said I would have to take my dash off and the repair would be $1300.

Thank you.
Thursday, December 11th, 2008 AT 8:14 AM

Hi:
If the tumbler has failed, the only thing you can do is replace it. NOTE: I would recommend getting another quote. The amout quoted, 1300.00, seems extreamly high.
Thursday, December 11th, 2008 AT 10:45 AM
JHARRIS1385
I got a new key made at a GM dealership and this did not work as well.

So it is the tumbler? What price range should I be looking at for repair?

Thank you.
Thursday, December 11th, 2008 AT 2:52 PM
Hi AGAIN:

I can't imagian that it should be more than 3 to 5 hundred. Now keep in mind, I live in PA and our labor rates may be lower than what you are used to, but 1300. Sounds crazy. Also, because your vehicle has a security system, I would recommend having the work done by a GM dealer. There are different processes that one must go through to make the system accept the new security signal. I suggest calling a dealer and having them quote you a price. Let them know you are looking for the best price so they are more competitive.

If I find anything different out, I'll let you know. Also, please let me know what a dealer wants to fix it. If I'm way off, I need to know. I hope I've helped you in some way.

Thursday, December 11th, 2008 AT 8:58 PM
JHARRIS1385
So you are 100% pointing to the tummber? I think it is this as well. I have heard of people spraying wd-40 or lithium grease in there to lossen them up. The problem is I was using a spare for the past 4-5 days before this happened. Thank you for your help. It would have been one thing if I locked my keys in my car but I didnt and my keys will just not work.

Thank you.
Friday, December 12th, 2008 AT 7:25 AM
Hi: I hate to say 100%, but that is what I believe the problem is. Keep in mind I'm not there (which makes me nervous to say 100% to anything).

Let me know what you find.

Good luck, Joe
Friday, December 12th, 2008 AT 10:30 AM