MULTIPLE MISFIRES?

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass

AkioJones

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 210000 miles

Olds cutlass supreme, 1996. Originally I had no heat and my car was overheating so I hired a friend to put new gasketts on the upper and lower intake this fixed the problem but now I have a new problem. The car drove fine for a day then it just suddenly died when I was driving it. I start it back up and it starts making this backfiring sound and it turns over but then it dies after a few minutes. I start it again and it gets worse with the shaking and backfiring till eventually it doesn't start. I hooked up a computer to it and it says " multiple misfires" I had a friend tell me it's a coil pack and another person told me it was the timing. Just wondering if you had any ideas before I go out and put money into fixing things that don't need to be fixed.

Engine Miss

Engine Misfiring can be caused by worn or fouled spark plugs, a weak spark (weak coil, bad spark plug wire), loss of compression, vacuum leaks, anything that causes an unusually lean fuel mixture (lean misfire), an EGR valve that is stuck open, dirty fuel injectors, low fuel pressure, or even bad fuel.