1996 OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS CAR JERKING

• jv23
  • 1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass

Engine Performance problem 1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic Hi. I have a 3.1l engine in my 96 cutlass supreme sl that jerks bad. It jerks when im on the gas but it really jerks when im at a constant speed anywhere above 40 mph. Also the code I have said that the #4 cylinder was misfireing and I seen fuel leaking from the fuel pressure regulator. Can you help me, I have already changed the spark plugs, spark plug wires, ignition coils throttle position sensor, idle air sensor, air filter, fuel filter, and both o2 sensors. I need your help!

Tuesday, February 17th, 2009 AT 3:21 PM

• Jacobandnickolas

Hi: Is there a reason you didn't replace the fuel pressure regulator?

Thursday, February 19th, 2009 AT 10:49 AM
  • jv23

I just noticed it when I posted the message. But since I changed the idle air sensor the jerking got worse. Im scared to drive my car now!

Thursday, February 19th, 2009 AT 11:00 AM
  • Jacobandnickolas

Has the check engine light come on? Also, have you replaced the fuel pressure regulator?

Thursday, February 19th, 2009 AT 1:40 PM
  • jv23

The check engine light is on and the code that showed that the #4 cylinder misfire. I haven't changed the regulator yet but I plan to over the weekend!

Thursday, February 19th, 2009 AT 2:00 PM
  • jv23

Well, I got the regulator changed but the car is still jerking. I just can't find out what can be causing that. Please help!

Saturday, February 21st, 2009 AT 3:11 PM
  • jwt767

I had this problem with my 96 cutlass, here's what it was.

There is a hose going from the PCV valve up to a hole on top of the intake manifold. There is a rubber grommet that goes around the fitting in that hole. I replaced the grommet, and the jerking stopped, it was sucking in to much air from the top of the intake manifold.

Might fix your problem.

Tuesday, October 20th, 2009 AT 10:23 AM