1996 OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS FREON LEAK

• bluerose
  • 1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass

Air Conditioning problem
1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 108000 miles

I have a 1996 Oldsmobile Ciera SL with a 3.1L engine. I have had my A/C checked three times for a freon leak. No one can find where it is leaking. My compressor works fine when you put freon in and the air works good, but the freon leaks out in about a week. Would a system lead seal kit stop it, or do you have a good idea where it is probably leaking? Thanks.

Wednesday, June 25th, 2008 AT 1:11 PM

• Docfixit

Most likely the evaperator is leaking. Very hard to detect does the system take awhile to go down?
Need to find a shop that does AC work exclusive they can find out. To check evap. Run AC shut off place leak detector in center vent wait 30min then key on fan on low the detector will go off bingo the evap.
Good luck

Wednesday, June 25th, 2008 AT 1:25 PM
  • bluerose

Thank you so much for your answer. I am on a limited income so I cannot donate, but you don't know how much I appreciate your help. I just have one more question. What do you mean when the system goes down? When the freon leaks out, it just blows hot air. Does that help? Thanks.

Wednesday, June 25th, 2008 AT 1:38 PM
  • Docfixit

Yes when the freon leaks if it takes a couple months or more you can get a can of 134a freon with a sealer in it and it may work.

Wednesday, June 25th, 2008 AT 1:43 PM
  • bluerose

The freon leaks out after about a week. Are you talking about just keep on putting freon with sealer in it for 2 or 3 months? That would get rather expensive. I have dealt with this for 2 summers, and the leak is getting worse.

Wednesday, June 25th, 2008 AT 2:13 PM
  • Docfixit

The evap replacement will set you back $1000.00 and that maybe a little low.

Wednesday, June 25th, 2008 AT 2:18 PM