FREON LEAK

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass

bluerose

June, 25, 2008 AT 1:11 PM

Air Conditioning problem
1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 108000 miles

I have a 1996 Oldsmobile Ciera SL with a 3.1L engine. I have had my A/C checked three times for a freon leak. No one can find where it is leaking. My compressor works fine when you put freon in and the air works good, but the freon leaks out in about a week. Would a system lead seal kit stop it, or do you have a good idea where it is probably leaking? Thanks.

Docfixit

June, 25, 2008 AT 1:25 PM

Most likely the evaperator is leaking. Very hard to detect does the system take awhile to go down?
Need to find a shop that does AC work exclusive they can find out. To check evap. Run AC shut off place leak detector in center vent wait 30min then key on fan on low the detector will go off bingo the evap.
Good luck

bluerose

June, 25, 2008 AT 1:38 PM

Thank you so much for your answer. I am on a limited income so I cannot donate, but you don't know how much I appreciate your help. I just have one more question. What do you mean when the system goes down? When the freon leaks out, it just blows hot air. Does that help? Thanks.

Docfixit

June, 25, 2008 AT 1:43 PM

Yes when the freon leaks if it takes a couple months or more you can get a can of 134a freon with a sealer in it and it may work.

bluerose

June, 25, 2008 AT 2:13 PM

The freon leaks out after about a week. Are you talking about just keep on putting freon with sealer in it for 2 or 3 months? That would get rather expensive. I have dealt with this for 2 summers, and the leak is getting worse.

Docfixit

June, 25, 2008 AT 2:18 PM

The evap replacement will set you back $1000.00 and that maybe a little low.

Air Conditioner Recharge - Simple
Air Condition Condenser Replacement
Blend Door Actuator Replacement