STARTING PROBLEM WITH MY OLDS CU

1989 Oldsmobile Ciera

erniemary

June, 2, 2010 AT 10:21 AM

1989 Oldsmobile Ciera 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 90000 miles

I am having an intermittent problem with my 1989 Olds Cutlass Cierra.

It starts fine the 1st time but, will only start again after you turn the engine off and allow it to sit for about 20-30 mins.

If you try to restart it before it sits for 20-30 mins, it will crank but not start.

My mechanic replaced the cranks sensor, but the problem persists.

My mechanic also ruled out the fuel pump as the source of the problem.

The car has a 3.3L V6 with about 90K miles on it and the spark plugs only have about 3000 miles on them.

Could the problem be related to the engine coolant temperature sensor or the electronic control module?

factoryjack

June, 2, 2010 AT 10:34 PM

HAs it been determined what is missing when the vehicle won't start, this will narrow down the possibilities. When the vehicle is anticipated not to start, a fuel pressure gauge, a means of checking spark at at least one plug wire, and an injector test light should be in place. This will tell you if you are missing spark, fuel pressure, or fuel injector pulse. The coolant temp sensor should not cause a no start, the engine control module could, but it could be influenced by something like a bad injector(s).

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right