COOLANT LEAK

2001 Oldsmobile Aurora

LJeff

October, 18, 2010 AT 2:55 PM

Engine Cooling problem
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 179000 miles

My car iis leaking coolant and I am unsure where it is coming from. I had a pressure test done and noticed that it is not coming from any hoses, but the radiator fans are not coming on as fast as they should. I am not sure if the fans are the problem. I have replaced the intake gasket.I have been putting coolant in the car very often and noticed that in the summer the car would overheat, but since it is getting cooler outside I dont hear it overheating like the summer but see drops on the ground. Can the radiator fans contribute to a coolant leak or if they are not coming on properly. (Fan relay)? If so can I purchase a fan relay/motor and put it in myself. Also how do I no if its not the thermostat? Please help!

Wrenchtech

October, 18, 2010 AT 3:05 PM

I doubt you have a fan problem. They don't come on until high temp anyway. The fans don't cause leaks. You were on the right track with pressure testing. You just gave up without finding the leak.

Ernest Clark

November, 12, 2010 AT 4:55 PM

Also, don't replace parts until you find the source of the problem. This will cost you money and fix nothing.

Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Upper and Lower Radiator Hose Replacement