HVAC FAN

1998 Oldsmobile Aurora

jrbake

July, 29, 2010 AT 6:32 PM

Heater problem
1998 Oldsmobile Aurora V8 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 105000 miles

HVAC fan has quit with no warning. During diagnostics, found fan operating (I jumped the terminals with a battery and the fan runs). I then turned attention to the Blower Motor Module. Ran diagnostics as defined in Mitchell manual and all evidence turns to the module is bad. Found a salvage unit and installed. At first fan still didn't work. Then I found by jiggling the 3 prong pigtail, the fan will run (this doesn't work on the original module). Acts like a loose connection, which it isn't.

My sense is that the salvage unit I bought also has a problem, but because it runs intermittently, the problem has to be with the module / pigtail. Looking for confirmation before I buy a new module.

merlin2021

July, 29, 2010 AT 6:35 PM

Can you open the junk yard module and see if the solder on the board is OK?

jrbake

July, 30, 2010 AT 8:07 AM

There are 4 screws on the bottom of the module and 2 on the front. I took all 6 out, hoping to have it come apart easily. Didn't happen that way. Looks like I'll have to pry apart. Is this what I'd expect to find if I tear it apart?

merlin2021

July, 30, 2010 AT 8:09 AM

It's either on the board or the connector end, but the connector you can see.

jrbake

July, 30, 2010 AT 8:15 AM

I cleaned the 4 male prongs on the module and scraped as best I could the female ends on the pigtail. I also tried prying the female ends in an effort to make them as tight as possible on the male part of the module. My sense is that the problem is " behind the curtain" on the module. I did read a blog that suggested replacing the pigtail when the module was replaced to avoid this problem. Do you know if a new pigtail is shipped with a new module.

I'll try tearing into the module next. I'm guessing fixing it is not likely, just verifying this is the problem, correct?

Many thanks.

merlin2021

July, 30, 2010 AT 9:38 AM

I think you can purchase the pigtail from the dealer separately, call parts debt.

Cabin Air Filter Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Honda Civic