LOWER BALL JOINTS?

2004 Oldsmobile Alero

Baronb

December, 22, 2009 AT 11:49 AM

Suspension problem
2004 Oldsmobile Alero 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 62000 miles

I recently purchased 4 new tires and I noticed that the front passenger side tire had alot more wear than the other tires especially on the outer edge of the tire. The tire store told me that they could not do the alignment because the lower ball joint on that same front passenger side needed replaced. The car doesn't make any wierd noises, the steering does not have a lot of play. Should I get it replaced and how much would that usually cost? Is there a way to check to make sure?

Thanks,
BaronB

bluelightnin6

December, 22, 2009 AT 12:39 PM

Hello and thanks for the donation

if the shop said the ball joint needs replaced, this is most likely the cause of the tire wear in the first place. You can check the ball joint by jacking up that wheel and trying to wiggle the wheel. If it has freeplay in it than the balljoint is bad. You should be able to get the ball joint replaced at or below $200, including labor and parts.

Replace Tie Rod End
Air Shock Replacement Mercedes Benz S Class
Sway Bar Link Replacement Chevrolet Silverado