2002 Oldsmobile Alero Transmission seems to slip when accel

SLAB
  • 2002 OLDSMOBILE ALERO
2002 Oldsmobile Alero 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 200k miles

I got in my car to go to work the other morning and as I pressed the accelerator to pull away, the car slowly started to move and then eventually seemed to "Catch" and act normally untill I let of the gas again. When I applied the pedal again the same thing happened even though I was already doing about 30km/h. I turned around and parked it for two days and now when I tried to start it, it just cranks and never catches. I thought it was transmission at first but I i'm wondering if it's the "Computer"?
Monday, June 8th, 2009 AT 8:50 AM

HAs the check engine light come on? Also, have you checked to see if you have spark and fuel to the engine?

Here are the "How To's" for checking for spark and fuel. One will most likely be missing. Let me know which one and then I can better help you diagnose the problem.

http://www.2carpros.com/how_to/how_to_test_an_ignition_system.htm

http://www.2carpros.com/dia/test_fuel_pressure.htm

Let me know what you find so I can better help you diagnose the problem. Also, and I realize this sounds too simple, make sure the trans fluid is full after we get it to run again.

Monday, June 8th, 2009 AT 4:28 PM
SLAB
Check Engine light came on the other day due to bad wheel bearing.
I did some more investigating and the engine doesn't seem to be getting any fuel. All the relays and fuses in the system appear to be good.
There is no dipstick to check the fluid level on the transmission on this model, it is a ""Sealed Syytem" to quote the manufacturer. I did find the fill plug for the tranny because that was my first thought, low fluid.
I removed the backseat and made sure the electrical connections to pump were secure, even gave the tank a bang. No change in the situation.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Shawn
Tuesday, June 9th, 2009 AT 6:59 AM
Are you getting power to the fuel pump?
Tuesday, June 9th, 2009 AT 11:16 AM
SLAB
Have not checked that yet, will do today and advise of the results.
Tuesday, June 9th, 2009 AT 11:20 AM