STEAM COMING FROM VENTS

1996 Oldsmobile Achieva

miklo51

October, 11, 2009 AT 7:31 PM

Heater problem
1996 Oldsmobile Achieva 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

I have an olds achieva that is leaking water from somewere around the firewall, it also has steam coming from the vents inside the car, making it impossible to see to drive.

mhpautos

October, 11, 2009 AT 7:33 PM

Hi there,

Have the cooling system checked as I feel that you will have a leaking heat core, get this done asap as engine damage will occur if it is left unattended.

miklo51

October, 11, 2009 AT 7:40 PM

Is there any way I can check it myself? Unfortunatly I am a starving college student lol, so money is tight atm. I do have a fairly strong mech background, but I have never messed with heaters or heater cores.

Edit: Also the water that is leaking out is coming from the under hood side of the firewall there is no water leaking under the dash, but the steam is coming out of all of the vents.

mhpautos

October, 11, 2009 AT 7:49 PM

You will need to get the pressure test done, this is a cheap 2 min test done while you wait, if there is steam in the vents there will be a leak in the core, you can loop out the heater if you wish, do this by removing the heater hoses at the fire wall and joining them up either with a joiner or take one off and attach the other hose so it is looped out of the system.

Cabin Air Filter Replacement Saturn Vue
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Porsche 911
Cabin Air Filter Replacement