1995 Oldsmobile 98 Car Died and Won't restart

ADAYASMAMA
  • 1995 OLDSMOBILE 98

1995 Oldsmobile 98 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 182000 miles

Today my car died in the drive through and won't restart. It says HOT. AC Disabled. It cranks but won't turn over. The windows are down and won't roll up and the locks won't trip. It has a 1/4 tank of gas in it currently but had an 1/8th of a tank when it stalled. I checked all the fuses even under the hood. I think, the blower motor relay swith has been fried for some time, I have to plug in the blower when I want to use the A/C, and unplug it when I turn the car off. The A/C was on when it died but the blower wasn't pluged in. Help me I am a woman and don't have a clue where do go from here. I should also add that it went through a flash flood about 4 weeks ago and stalled out. We had to pull the plugs to get the water out and change the air filter. We got it started and it has been running tip- top for 3 1/2 weeks.

Wednesday, August 4th, 2010 AT 3:28 PM

BLUELIGHTNIN6

Hello and thanks for donating

What has me concerned here is the fact that you said the fuel tank did get low, to about 1/8th of tank. This is very hard on the fuel pump and also can contaminate the fuel filter which will resctrict fuel supply to the engine. Can you hear the fuel pump coming on when you first turn key in ignition? You may need to test fuel pressure to ensure engine is getting fuel.

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Wednesday, August 4th, 2010 AT 10:40 PM
ADAYASMAMA

I will check the fuel pump this morning. But what about the windows and locks? If it was fuel related why won't the power windows and locks work. If the dome light is on when I attempt to roll up the window, as soon as I push the window button the dome light goes off. Same with the locks.

Thursday, August 5th, 2010 AT 9:22 AM
ADAYASMAMA

The fuel pump does click on but it still don't start. The windows are still stuck rolled down. I have been trying to figure out what could be the problem and I keep seeing this ECU. What is an ECU and how much do they cost.

Thursday, August 5th, 2010 AT 11:35 AM
BLUELIGHTNIN6

Sorry didn't notice the window issue.

The ECU is engine control unit, may also be called ECM or PCM. It is like the "main brain" of the vehicle. It is the main computer that controls the entire vehicle's systems. You can find one at a salvage yard much cheaper than buying a new one.

Thursday, August 5th, 2010 AT 2:27 PM
ADAYASMAMA

So in your opinion does this sound more like an ECU problem and do you think it is worth the price to fix? Outside of this issue, the car is a nice car. Well maintained and runs like a dream. I have limited funds and am unable to obtain a loan for a new car. If I was to junk this car I would only get 200 for it and then only be able to replace it with a another 800 dollar car.

Friday, August 6th, 2010 AT 9:21 AM
BLUELIGHTNIN6

With the info at hand, yes it does point towards a faulty ECU and I would definitely not junk the car because of it.

Saturday, August 7th, 2010 AT 11:13 AM
ADAYASMAMA

Ok so I did what you said and I didn't junk the car. I bought a used ECU. Now I need to know where it is located in my car so I can replace it. Are there any tricks that I need to know about or any special instructions? Please advise.

Monday, August 16th, 2010 AT 6:48 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6

I'll need the 8th digit of your VIN so I can get the correct location

Tuesday, August 17th, 2010 AT 4:23 PM
ADAYASMAMA

The 8th digit is K

Tuesday, August 17th, 2010 AT 9:19 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6

Thanks, your PCM is behind the right side of the dash , pic below.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_Noname2_842.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_Noname_2593.jpg

Tuesday, August 17th, 2010 AT 9:40 PM