MASTER CYLINDER/REAR CYLINDERS

1997 Oldsmobile 88

blueeyed_dreamz

May, 19, 2009 AT 9:34 PM

Brakes problem
1997 Oldsmobile 88

My car brakes pretty much go all the way to the floor. My dad bled the breaks last week, it helped some but not much. I haven't driven it, except to the shop this morning.

When I finally got a phone call around 4pm, the guy at the shop said I need the master cylinder, rear cylinders, back brake shoes, back brakes brought up to code (supposedly they were leaking) and my brake line flushed. I asked could I just replace the master cylinder and wait on the back rear cylinders/brakes.

He told me that if I replaced the master cylinder and not the old back cylinders - that the back rear cylinders would bust or explode on me and the brakes would give out totally. In other words, I wouldn't be able to stop unless I crashed.

I know the front brakes do most of the stopping. Is what he said to me true or can I wait two weeks to get the back cylinders/brakes fixed?

I do have the money to get everything fixed, but will be completely broke afterwards.

Please help! Thanks in advance!

legitimate007

May, 19, 2009 AT 9:52 PM

Although you may need all of those things I dont know, I did not see, and I know these people lie just to get a buck. The front brakes do do most of the stopping about 75 percent. I f you want to change the master cylinder to see if that may make a difference then go ahead, There was a time when I had no brakes, I drove around with just emergency brakes in the rear, because I had to go to work. But its easier to do that when your e brake is next to the shifter between the seats, not on the floor by the brake pedal, that wont work, anyway you may have a week seal in the master cylinder and that could be causing your soft pedal. So go ahead and change it. I cant hurt. I dont think it will " make the rear cylinders burst". Wow

Brake Master Cylinder Replacement Like a Pro
Brake Shoe/Drum Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front Ford
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Mercedes ML