OBDII P0500 - VCT light, check engine light and TRAC light on

FRANKYZ13
  • 2006 TOYOTA SIENNA
The other day all of these lights flashed on. I did and OBDII diagnostic and it returned a P0500 code. After these went on the vehicle still drives, but the transmission seems to shift somewhat erratically. Help please. I don't have any type of service manual, and I'm having a problem locating the speed sensors to check them. I need general information on how to better diagnose the problem.

Monday, June 24th, 2013 AT 8:31 AM

WRENCHTECH
You would need a lab scope to be able to diagnose it accurately. A speed sensor fault will trigger all that because it is used by all those systems.
Monday, June 24th, 2013 AT 8:56 AM
FRANKYZ13
As your diagram shows there appears to be two of them. Is there a difference between the two, or are they the same part for different readings? Likewise is there an easy way to identify the problematic sensor. I realize that having a scope is the ideal way to test these parts, but is there another way. Will an ohm/volt reading tell me anything useful?

Thanks Wrenchtech for your help already, and for any future posts!
Monday, June 24th, 2013 AT 9:22 AM
FRANKYZ13
A minor detail that I forgot to mention. The problem seems somewhat intermittent. The lights will come and go daily, but I have yet to identify anything that triggers them.
Monday, June 24th, 2013 AT 9:25 AM
WRENCHTECH
One is an input sensor and one is an output sensor. You want the output sensor which is the NC sensor.
Monday, June 24th, 2013 AT 9:27 AM
FRANKYZ13
How likely is this to be the culprit in terms of just replacing the part? Hard question to answer right? Wrenchtech I appreciate your help. I'm simply just trying not to throw money down the drain.

Monday, June 24th, 2013 AT 10:19 AM
WRENCHTECH
It's pretty likely although that's not what we would do but the diagnostic may cost more than the part so it may be worth a shot.
Monday, June 24th, 2013 AT 1:27 PM