No starter action, standard corporate protocol is missing

NIGHTMAREF150
  • 2001 FORD F-150

Changed the intake manifold gaskets, at first it started and ran for a minute but did not sound right so I shut it off. At restart the relay would click but starter did not turn. I replaced the starter, starter relay and ignition switch. Now relay does not click and starter will not turn. I called a locksmith because the theft light on the dash is flashing rapidly. He diagnosed the SCP (standard corporate protocol) is missing there are no blown fuses and no trouble codes what can I do next?

Tuesday, October 17th, 2017 AT 11:04 AM

STEVE W.

That sounds like the security system tripped and it no longer recognizes your key or anything else. A dealer should be able to access the PCM and the ICM and straighten things out, but it will not be a DIY repair.

Tuesday, October 17th, 2017 AT 11:51 AM
RACECARNUT1488
  • 2001 FORD F-150

Truck died all I heard was a click I cleaned wires it rolled over but slow then the starter caught fire.I put new starter in it it started but starter stayed engaged and started smoking shut the truck off would not start could here starter spinning but thats all changed solonoid and another starter same thing

Wednesday, November 1st, 2017 AT 10:32 AM (Merged)

Check for a sticky starter relay

ET1THORNHILL
  • 1915 FORD F-150

Where is the starter located on a '98 Triton V8 4.6L?

Also, my symptoms are: lights, radio, windows work. Just a click when I turn the engine over.

LOSONE

Bottom of the engine between the engine and tranny.

+1
ET1THORNHILL

Does this sound like a starter problem?

+1
LOSONE

Either a bad connection from the battery to the starter, bad ground, bad starter relay or the starter.

Wednesday, November 1st, 2017 AT 10:33 AM (Merged)
ET1THORNHILL

Is there anything I (as a novice) can do to isolate down to one or two of those things?

ET1THORNHILL

Does the "Click" I hear mean the Starter Relay is working?

DCOOK9719
  • 1990 FORD F-150

1990 Ford F150 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 200 K miles

In the last year, I have had to replace the starter 3 times. The last time the starter ran great for one week. I turned off the truck and tried to restart it a minute later and it just clicked. I think it is the starter again, but I cant figure out why I am going through starters so fast. They are the Lifetime Warranty starters from Autozone.

OBXAUTOMEDIC

Ok, try this...

Follow the Positive cable from the Battery it will take you the the Start Relay Selenoid, pick below...

https://www.2carpros.com/images/question_images/199389/original.jpg

Using a crewdriver with a insulated handle or towel rapped around it, with engine off and key out, cross the 2 big terminals. If engine turns over replace that selenoid. The NAPA Part # is ST404. Also that may have been the problem all along. I have known some to work great for a while then not work a couple times then work for a while.

KENNYJON

New battery, new starter, starter drags solenoid red hot 2000 f-150 4.2 v6

DCOOK9719

Thanks for your help. I actually replaced the positive wire to the solenoid because I found it had a bare spot and was resting against the exhaust. I also replaced the solenoid which was bad as well.

Thanks again.

DRCRANKNWRENCH

You are definately on the right track with the batery cables. The hot cable runs from the battery to the stater. The negative cable runs from the battery to the engine block.
Check connections at the battery and other ends just by wiggling them with your hand. If they are not corroded, generally will be greenish/white build-up, and they seem to be tight and not move around if you try to move them around, then they are good. If they move tighten them up. If they are corroded, take them off and clean both sides of connection with baking soad/vinegar and maybe some really fine emery or wet/dry paper at least of 1000 or higher grit. Then if you can get some brake cleaner, spray a little on and wipe them clean with a rag or paper towel. Don't take the emery wet/dry paper to the battery posts as you will quickly make them smaller and have problems with the connection being tight. They will clean up with just a wipe down.
In regards to the last comment. Are you saying that the solenoid gets red hot from the starter just turning over? If so, it must be bad and needs replacement as it should not click if evrything is connected and providing 12 volts when you turn the key. It is probably failing and cocked a little sideways and that is why it makes the clicking noise and gets red hot when turned by the motor. Definately replace it if that is the case.

KENNYJON

The starter is a new rebuilt. Starter drags and the solenoid got red hot. New battery, also.

DRCRANKNWRENCH

The only thing that could get the solenoid red hot besides friction would be really high resitance in the solenoid circuit, which is basically a wire, and that would probably melt the wire. I guess if the solenoid has to be jumped, it has nearly melted the wire and the high resitance does not provide it with the 12Volts it need, so it just has enough to click once and then it kicks out the gear.
Even if the solenoid is new, there has to be something wrong. How long do you keep the starter turning before it gets red hot?

RLUXON
  • 1986 FORD F-150

I have a 1986 Ford F-150, 5.0L engine, the Miles are approx. 200 000.

I just changed out the starter as well as the solanoid a few months back, but now when I go to start the truck, I get the lights and all that come on, as well as a click from the solanoid, but the starter will not enguage. It will not even move at all. I tested the voltage across the starter (12V), but still no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-Richard

ADAMP

I also have an 86 f150 amd I had similar problems. I replaced starter, went through several soleniods, replacedstarter wire from battery to starter, then it started doing what you are saying. It may seem crazy but my battery post was not corroded but has a black film that had built up around it. I scraped it off to where it was silver in color and no problems since.

SKIAGGIE

Same thing has happened to me upon replacing the starter a couple of times. First, where are you checking voltage? I've found you can have the volts on the lead wire but not at the starter. If your new starter has a copper tab at the connection, place the lead above the tab and screw down. For some reason, I've found that if you "sandwich" the lead between the the copper tab and the starter housing, you don't get a solid enough connection. Also, follow the main battery ground cable to the bottom of the engine block and check that it is clean and tight. This has fixed my problem, as well.

BRAD KNIGHT
  • 1994 FORD F-150

1994 Ford F150 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 256, 00 miles

I recently replaced a sticky starter with a new one and now all it will do is click, the battery shows 12.6 volts, cleaned and retightened alll cables, the starter spins fine off the truck but when bolted up to it it will only click, tried bypassing the relay and the same results. Thanks, Brad