1993 NISSAN SUNNY I SMELL FUMES...

• eddie88
  • 1993 Nissan Sunny

Air Conditioning problem
1993 Nissan Sunny 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 200k+ miles

i smell fumes in my car whenever I drive, it seems to be my own fumes, the air con is off and the windows are up. The fume is more apparent whenever I am moving especially going uphill and when turning right corners. Please help me. Its very toxic

Tuesday, March 17th, 2009 AT 2:35 AM

• Zackman

You have to check your evaporative emission system, especially the charcoal canister. Fume is kept in the canister to control fuel smell in the vehicle. Sometimes, when the system solenoid fails, you will smell fuel in the cabin. The first one is for SR2DE, and the latter is for GA16DE. Check every single part for bad /leaky vacuum line and electrical connection.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/55316_93sr20deevap_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/55316_93ga16evap_1.jpg

+1
Wednesday, March 18th, 2009 AT 1:02 AM
  • eddie88

I brought to d mechanics and they say that the car's exhaust has been coated by the car black under coating by the manufactures. So when I drive it the exhaust get heated up causing the undercoat to give out smell. Well don't know how far it's true. Any idea?

Thursday, March 19th, 2009 AT 11:48 PM
  • eddie88

Yup, I did check for leaks, but most holes has been patch up, except behind the dashboard which is impossible to find holes except pulling the whole dashboard out.

Thursday, March 19th, 2009 AT 11:58 PM
  • Zackman

Unfortunately, if you have crack behind the dash, you will have to remove the dash to patch.

Saturday, March 21st, 2009 AT 9:31 PM
  • eddie88

So, eventhough you say there is something wrong on the pressure system in the engine, there still must be a hole somewherwe for the exhaust to come into the cabin right? It is very strong whenever I turn the car to the rightside. Does this give any clue?

Tuesday, March 24th, 2009 AT 12:58 AM
  • Zackman

Wait, wait. Fume is the smell of unburned gasoline. Are you smelling the gasoline or the exhaust gas in the cabin?

Tuesday, March 24th, 2009 AT 8:53 PM
  • eddie88

It don't smell the same as the exhaust from the back, but it do smell like unburned fumes. More like the motobike exhaust fumes. Mechanics checked, but they say no oil leak found. Any idea?

Tuesday, March 24th, 2009 AT 11:26 PM
  • Zackman

If you are smelling unburned gasoline, patching your exhaust will not do anything to the problem. You need to check your EVAP system as previously suggested. You may also want to remove your back seat and check the seal on the fuel pump. It may actually leaking from there as well.

Wednesday, March 25th, 2009 AT 9:09 PM
  • eddie88

I took the backseat up and there is no holes, I even took the carpet to check for holes, but there is none. AVAP? How to I tell the mechanics about that, what should they check for? And should there still be a hole somewhere?

Thursday, March 26th, 2009 AT 10:56 PM
  • Zackman

That could have been my fault. I am very familiar with US-spec Sentra. I guess Sunny is different when it comes to fuel pump. When you get to your mechanic, tell him to check your evaporative emission system. Look at the vacuum diagram I had provided, and ask him to check the entire system. There is a hole or possibly a blockage in the evap and possibly fuel return systems, not exhaust. Well, you may a hole in the exhaust, but it has little to do with your problem.

Friday, March 27th, 2009 AT 5:26 PM