2004 Nissan Sentra Rear Drum Brakes

• 5 POSTS

Brakes problem
2004 Nissan Sentra 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 148000 miles

I need some help with the Rear Drum Brakes.
First of all, my brother and I were attempting to get the drum off, which proved difficult. After reading a Haynes Manual, which seemed to describe the process in kind of backwards way from what it actually was, we figured out we had to release tension on the shoes with the adjuster star nut/ring.
While attempting this, however, we soon discovered that we were actually expanding the adjuster, which made removal of the drum impossible. We cannot get the adjuster ring to move in the opposite direction, and the brakes are now seemingly locked into an engaged position on the drum while driving.
So far we attempted to remove the bearing in an attempt to break it free via wiggling the rim back and forth, but the whole assembly appears different from what one would expect. There is no cotter pin. Just a large, I assume 30mm, 'nut' that has been crimped onto some shaft.

What can we do?

Saturday, July 18th, 2009 AT 7:20 PM

HI there,

Try and have a look in the adjuster slot with a torch, the adjuster wheel has a plate that stops it from backing off in normal operation, to un adjust the brakes you have to push his plate with a screw driver back(toward the drum) and the adjuster will now turn in either direction, back the brake s off and remove the drum.

Saturday, July 18th, 2009 AT 10:32 PM