2003 Nissan Sentra Rough idling

TANGOBYRD
  • 2003 NISSAN SENTRA
This question or concern I have is that on my 2003 Nissan Sentra 2.5L. Its idles hard and rough at red lights. I have had spark plugs replace. But not he wires. Still the same idling issue. A mechanic told me to replace my existing sysytem to clear up engine breathing, He said the idling is from the engine trying to push out to much air through exhaust pipes that are clogged or too small for the enigine. Also I recently noticed that When accelerating from a stop I can hear a low rumble. Like the sound of an after market muffler or exhaust tip. What could possible be wrong the car and what should I do to correct the issues?
Wednesday, July 15th, 2009 AT 4:44 PM

STEVEW84
I'm sure you have a check engine light on. What is the code? I think you might have an intake gasket leaking possibly.
Friday, July 17th, 2009 AT 9:00 PM
TANGOBYRD
No light has come on yet. I took to the one shop and the guy there said I needed to free up my exhaust. (Saying it was clog or the exhaust pipe wasnt wide enough for the air passing through. I am curious to know if it is the INTAKE GASKET. At the shop they never did and computer code check. Would something pop up if they did that?
Saturday, July 18th, 2009 AT 6:31 AM
STEVEW84
Normally a clogged exhaust won't show up at idle. When you are off idle, does it smooth out? If so I would be looking a few different things. Like EGR stuck open or some kind of air leak. Do this for me to check your engine light bulb. Shut your car off. Then turn your key to the first position so all of your lights come on. Make sure that the check engine light comes on then shuts off. If it doesn't show up then someone took the bulb out. HTH.
Saturday, July 18th, 2009 AT 9:48 AM
TANGOBYRD
All lights come on and shut off once I start the car. The idling is only present when I am at a red light and the car is in DRIVE. The car smooths out once I put the car in park or neutral or reverse (sometimes). I did check my air to see if it was loose or not bolt on properly. I have an appointment wed at Kal-tire to raise the car on hoist to check the exhaust pipes and such.

P.S. - All your suggestions and your opinions are very much appreciated. I only know a little bit and about cars.
Saturday, July 18th, 2009 AT 10:44 PM
STEVEW84
Does it smooth out once you start driving or no? Keep us posted on what happens.
Saturday, July 18th, 2009 AT 10:48 PM
TANGOBYRD
Once putting the car in neutral it smooths out. Once back in drive and motionless the car will start idling rough again. Once back in drive and moving the roughness goes away.
Sunday, July 19th, 2009 AT 1:41 AM
STEVEW84
I got the whole drive/neutral thing. BUT, if you go off idle(driving) does the car smooth out or does it still run rough?
+1
Sunday, July 19th, 2009 AT 11:34 AM