How 2 change thermostat on 191 Pathfinder

DOUG TABOR
  • 1919 NISSAN PATHFINDER
What do I have to do to change thermostat on 1991 nissan pathfinder.150,000 mi. V6.
Sunday, October 14th, 2007 AT 5:23 AM

MERLIN2021
Partially drain the coolant so it's below the thermostat, about half a gallon should do it, then follw the upper radiator hose to the thermostat housing, remove the two bolts, leave the housing attachecd to the hose, and pull it from the block.
Remove the old thermostat, Remove the old gasket install the new one with the spring facing the block, snug the bolts evenly, the housing can and will crack if you don't, refill coolant, and your done!
Sunday, October 14th, 2007 AT 5:57 AM
LUMSTAR
Hi Merlin & Doug,

Sorry for the long lapse before this reply, but I am just looking to do the same repair now. Are you sure that is the procedure for the V6? I have a Haynes manual and it says that you need to remove the fan, drive belts and radiator and that the thermostat is connected to where the lower rad hose terminates. Hopefully your procedure is correct though. Please let me know if you have any additional info.

Thanks,
Stephen
Thursday, January 17th, 2008 AT 3:10 PM
MERLIN2021
Mitchell tech line says follow upper hose! Right between the two cams in the center, on top!
Thursday, January 17th, 2008 AT 3:36 PM
LUMSTAR
Thanks for the feedback merlin. It looks like we were both right. The thermostat is on the top, but to get at the housing you do need to remove the drive belts, fan shroud and fan and radiator.
Friday, January 18th, 2008 AT 7:38 AM
MERLIN2021
Well after all that work, I hope thats it!
Friday, January 18th, 2008 AT 9:07 PM