1994 Nissan Pathfinder driver's side window will not close

JOEI
  • 1994 NISSAN PATHFINDER
For past few days window would get caught 1/2 way up by tugging on window it would close by itself. Now it is down and will not close at all. I would like to fix it or at least close it until I can try to have it repaired. I can not tell if the motor is still running when the up button is pushed. Rest of windows are ok.
Sunday, November 8th, 2009 AT 12:58 PM

IMPALASS
Hello -

To better assist you is your model the LE, SE, or XE and what is the engine size in liter?
+1
Sunday, November 8th, 2009 AT 8:24 PM
JOEI
I do not know what this has to do with the window closing. So far no credible response
Monday, November 9th, 2009 AT 12:34 PM
IMPALASS
Hello -

It may be nothing.......but it may be something. That is why we ask certain questions and rely on you the customer to provide us with the answers to our questions.

The reason is, as you see there are several models to a Nissan Pathfinder.......and if I am going to provide you with the "correct" as possible information........I need to know that. The LE may be a little different than the XE and so forth. It wastes your and my time searching different models. There are some models that have 7 or more variations. That is a big time waster for the customer and us.

Also sometime the manuals sort out different information by engine size. We don't' know why as the manufacture is the one that provides the information. Many times we have to ask the customer certain VIN numbers like position, most of the time it is position 5 and 8 as this provides more detailed info that the manufacture narrows their repairs etc down too.

Additionally, we have had to ask manufacture dates as some issues only apply to certain early or late manufacture dates.

It also saves time in the long run as there are times the customer has supplied the wrong information on their vehicle or.......we start to look something up and need additional info. This way I ask first the most general required information that we usually need and that saves you and me time.

Last, I like to check the TSBs on your model just in case there is a "known" problem that would provide you better information. There have also been instances that there were recalls on the problem, even as simple as a window motor and the customer doesn't have to pay anything, just take it to the dealer and they fix it for free.

So, I understand if you don't work on vehicles and know the above how you might think that information is irrelevant. But we try to get as much info as possible to help the customer, you in this case to the very best of our abilities.

I am giving you the check for the LE model.................Looks pretty basic.

MOTOR TEST
Apply battery voltage between motor connector terminals. Window should move up or down. Reverse battery leads. Window should move in other direction. If window moves up and down, motor is okay. If window does not move as described, replace motor.

Basically you need to remove the door panel and disconnect the motor connector. Put 12V to one side of the motor connector and ground the other pin. Then swap for the motor to operate in the other direction.

Most likely it appears you have the regulator type system with the motor attached to that. What I have usually seen is the regulator has snapped, or a part broke off or bound up in some way then it shuts the motor off.

My suggestion is again, remove and do a good visual inspection on the regulator first. Then check the motor if the regulator looks okay.

Also, I would replace the motor AND the regulator even if just the motor is bad, or, if just the regulator is bad. They both have been on there for 162K and have worn together. Many times it is easier and just about the same price.

Looks like Auto Zone has the motor for about 70 and the regulator for about 45. Check with them to see if it comes also in one complete assembly.

Sorry, as you see below the manufacture doesn't provide information on removal procedures.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

NOTE: Removal and installation procedures are not available from manufacturer.

Please be careful when working around the inside parts of the door. It is very sharp in many areas and not much room to move around. So please be careful.

WOW.........I have placed an estimate of what we show for parts a estimate for parts/labor if Nissan does it. Me, if you are mechanical at all I would try it myself or take it around and get estimates.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_Nissan_Estimate_1.jpg

Last, it looks like you may have some recalls on your vehicle. The dealer may fix these for free. Please contact the dealer service department, give them the VIN number of your car and have them check on these to see if they apply to you. I did take the time to look at all 3 different models on this and they all have the same TSB recall. For your safety definitely check these out dealing with the seat belt.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_Nissan_Recall_1.jpg

+1
Monday, November 9th, 2009 AT 9:06 PM