2004 NISSAN NISSAN QUEST

• Samthedog
  • 2004 NISSAN

2004 Other Nissan Models 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 124000 miles

What should the cost of a timing chain replacement be for this van? I have been quoted by the dealership of $3100, which seems ridiculous.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Wednesday, December 3rd, 2008 AT 1:02 PM

• Zackman

It calls for 24 hours of labor plus parts. The quote is about what a dealership would charge. You may want to call around to your local "other guys" for quotes (6 - 8 shops). Ask friends and neighbors if they have mechanics that they would recommend.

Thursday, December 4th, 2008 AT 10:44 PM
  • Samthedog

I know a few reputable mechanics. They all tell me that it takes very special tools to do this job. The tools from Snapon are about $600. No one wants to invest that kind of money to do one van. I have challeneged the dealership with the Nissan factory folks. I have complained about the rattle for over 30K miles. It had the 100K extended warranty from Nissan. I think I have been pushed around to keep from the warranty having to pay for the repair. I hear that this engine is subject to these kinds of failures due to a plastic type of tensioner. Also, I had complete double catalytic converter failure which cost me $1400. No one but the dealer would touch it. That happened about 15K miles ago.

Friday, December 5th, 2008 AT 7:23 AM
  • Zackman

That is one of the few quirks of VQ35 motor.

Friday, December 5th, 2008 AT 9:03 PM