QUEST

2004 Nissan

samthedog

December, 3, 2008 AT 1:02 PM

2004 Other Nissan Models 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 124000 miles

What should the cost of a timing chain replacement be for this van? I have been quoted by the dealership of $3100, which seems ridiculous.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Zackman

December, 4, 2008 AT 10:44 PM

It calls for 24 hours of labor plus parts. The quote is about what a dealership would charge. You may want to call around to your local " other guys" for quotes (6 - 8 shops). Ask friends and neighbors if they have mechanics that they would recommend.

samthedog

December, 5, 2008 AT 7:23 AM

I know a few reputable mechanics. They all tell me that it takes very special tools to do this job. The tools from Snapon are about $600. No one wants to invest that kind of money to do one van. I have challeneged the dealership with the Nissan factory folks. I have complained about the rattle for over 30K miles. It had the 100K extended warranty from Nissan. I think I have been pushed around to keep from the warranty having to pay for the repair. I hear that this engine is subject to these kinds of failures due to a plastic type of tensioner. Also, I had complete double catalytic converter failure which cost me $1400. No one but the dealer would touch it. That happened about 15K miles ago.

Zackman

December, 5, 2008 AT 9:03 PM

That is one of the few quirks of VQ35 motor.

Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Serpentine Belt Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet