Gas and white smoke coming out of tail pipe

PUGHD
  • NISSAN MAXIMA

I have a 1995 Nissan Maxima. I recently had the 2nd fuel injector and fuel pressure regulator replaced on my car. Now there is a ton of white smoke and gas coming out of the tail pipe. I went through $10 of gas in ten minutes! It's difficult to start the car up and when it does the car runs very rough.

Monday, May 14th, 2007 AT 10:14 PM

SERVICE WRITER

For whatever reason there is too much fuel getting dumped in the motor causing the symptoms. Take it back to the place that did the pressure regulator and ask them to re-check it.

Monday, May 14th, 2007 AT 10:32 PM

Better have that Catalytic Converter check with that amount of fuel or? Going thru the exhaust its probably clogged causing the hard start.

You sure its gas coming out or its water? The white smoke is giving me the curve ball-

Check your coolant level and comeback or take it back as recommended by SW.

Its probably going thru the cylinders washing it out and diluting the crankcase.

Am hinting coolant is making it to the cylinder/s. And with the fuel not burning its being push thru the exhaust, its a combination of both.

Check the oil level.

Tuesday, May 15th, 2007 AT 3:32 AM
BAG6817

Have the same problem on a 1994 and when you check the liquid at the exhaust it is fuel. Water level is fine. Changed oil no coolant in the oil or at tail pipe.

Wednesday, December 22nd, 2010 AT 2:34 AM
2CARPROS KEN

Hello, '

This is what happens when an injector is shorting out. It causes way to much fuel to enter the engine. Here is a guide that will ehlp you find the bad injector.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-test-a-fuel-injector

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken

+2
Monday, May 8th, 2017 AT 6:06 PM
MBSNYDER1102
  • NISSAN MAXIMA

Here recently I have been noticing, when I crank my 01 Nissan Maxima, there is a cloud of white smoke and it flows the whole time the car is on, running or stopped. The smoke is grey to black when revving engine. There is also a spray paint smell and a kind of sweet smell, thats the only way I know to describe it. I have heard this could be bad fuel or could be a blown head gasket. I had a Mitsubishi Eclipse that did the same thing and it was a blown head gasket. Both of these cars were used, so Im starting to think I got screwed. I knew about the Eclipse. I resold it as needing new motor. I dont know what Im going to do about the Maxi, if this is the problem, because of the year, I wouldnt ecpect the car to have this type of problem already. If so, sounds like someone was rough on it. Thank you in advance for your feedback!

Monday, May 8th, 2017 AT 6:07 PM (Merged)
JOE C.

Total bummer. Smell indicates head gasket, as does the smoke.
I HOPE I'M WRONG!

DAEMON240SX

If the previous owner let the car overheat, it could be either a blown headgasket, or a cracked block. Either one of those would let antifreeze into the combustion chambing and cause the white smoke.