Electrical outage in hot weather

LP
  • NISSAN MAXIMA
Nissan Maxima 1998 GLE, 130K miles.
I experience a power outage for radio, clock and lighter. This seems to happen during hot weather, or when the car is hot. After it runs for a bit, the inside of the car seems to cool off and these items return to functioning. They will either start back up when the car is running, or if I turn the car completely off and restart. In addition, these items seem to run if I turn the ignition to just the ACC point, not igniting the engine, no matter the temperature. Any advice is appreciated.
Thursday, June 7th, 2007 AT 11:10 AM

PATCH
I would check the ignition switch first then trace wires from there to fuse box or the wire powering these things from the fuse box to said instruments for a short. The digital multi-meter and/or at the least a test light is good tools for the job

would also recomend a automotive manual for the car in question for the wiring diag.

Learning to read wiring diagrams and using a multi-meter will aid you a great deal :)
Wednesday, June 13th, 2007 AT 7:01 AM