COST OF RADIATOR HOSE? . $100 TOO HIGH?!

1990 Nissan Maxima

jfredrichs

My radiator hose has a big hole. I only drive to the bus stop and to the store so I've been lucky for the past month(s). Conrads estimated $100 for repair. Is this fair? $59 for hose / $29 for labor / $9 for antifreeze, one other cost I do not recall. I've been told this is too high. Any suggestions or comments on how I can get this cost lowered? Obviously, I am not a car person.

Paloma Paul

Sounds a little high, Are they a reliable garage? Do they warranty their work? They are definately marking up the cost of parts. Call a couple auto parts stores and get price quotes for the hose. See if there's a garage that will put on parts you have already purchased.

jfredrichs

Thank you, Paloma Paul, for the suggestion to pre-buy parts and have them installed. I never thought of that, but it's an excellent idea that I will pursue; don't know if they'll go for it, but it is definitely worth a try. Just an FYI -- I had the radiator hose installed at the Firestone place just across the street. The parts were less expensive by half, but the labor charge was doubled, so it ended up costing the same. (Think I'm in the wrong business!)

Radiator Hoses and Thermostat Replacement
Upper and Lower Radiator Hose Replacement
Radiator Hose Replacement - Upper - Chevrolet
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage