2001 Nissan Maxima idle too slow, stalls at lights

JLORD
  • 2001 NISSAN MAXIMA
My car started stalling as a result of idle speed valve? Mechanism not running at a high enough RPM. Took it in, they said that the valve mechanism had caused the car computer system to short out and therefore to fix it, is $2,500.00.

$2500? To fix a slow idle problem? On top of a $450 hit to fix the headlight that is out ( daylight running headlight on left side went out).

Are these prices and diagnosis for real? I'll never buy another Nissan again if so. I'll tell everyone not to.
thanks for your input
Sunday, December 21st, 2008 AT 10:34 AM

BLUELIGHTNIN6
Hello
Thanks for the donation

I have never heard of a vehicle's computer shorting out because of a bad IAC valve. The part price for the IAC valve (Idle Air Control Valve) of your vehicle is around $300. Labor price shouldn't be more than $150. I suggest having a repair shop simply replace the IAC valve. Don't tell them that the dealer said it shorted the computer out or they will say the same thing to get you to pay THEM the money to fix it. If they too say that it has shorted the computer then the dealer diagnosis is probably correct. If this is the case then you will probably have to pay the $2,500 as the dealer is the only one who can reprogram the new computer to your vehicle with there high-tech equipment and such.

For the headlamp price. If it is just needing a bulb replaced, you shouldn't pay more than $75 for that including labor. If it is more difficult than that, such as wiring issues, then it will cost more.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for using 2carpros. Com!
Sunday, December 21st, 2008 AT 7:10 PM
JLORD
Monday, December 22nd, 2008 AT 9:29 AM