1999 Nissan Maxima A/C

MSKHOLLER
  • 1999 NISSAN MAXIMA
1999 Nissan Maxima 196000 miles

I'm looking @ buying this car, but the owner told me that the a/c doesn't work and I will need new tires. I've priced tires, but can you tell me how much it will cost to get the a/c fixed from min-max? I have a 10 mo old son, so I will definitely need the AC to work. Also, the car does have 196,000 miles, is this going to be a good reliable car that will last me awhile w/out having to keep putting money into it for repairs? I tend to do a lot of driving and can put a lot of miles on car in a short amount of time.
Sunday, August 30th, 2009 AT 12:10 PM

IMPALASS
Hello -

To better assist you is this model a GLE, GXE or an SE. Also do you know the engine size in liter
Sunday, August 30th, 2009 AT 6:34 PM
MSKHOLLER
It's an SE Limited; I do not know the engine size in liter.
Sunday, August 30th, 2009 AT 7:12 PM
IMPALASS
Hello -

Okay......thanks for the info.........

The tires............not sure where you are getting them but you might try looking at TireRack and they ship them to you then you just pay, say at Walmart to have them balanced and mounted. It may be cheaper so check it out.

http://www.tirerack.com/index.jsp

The AC....wow................I would say about $2000............if all is bad....the quote is below on what we figure.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_Quote_3.jpg

It also depends on what is wrong....the only way to find out for sure is if you have someone test it and they tell you...........if the compressor shelled....then you can bet you need to pretty much replace it all..................

Also I have attached what the car should cost you...............but condition is a big factor.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_Picture4_26.jpg

Okay....my opinion without looking at the car.................

The car may last but with that many miles you will be having problems because it is time for things to be going....it is normal............

If I were you and with a 10month old.....I would shop around some more and see what else is out there.
Sunday, August 30th, 2009 AT 7:42 PM
MSKHOLLER
Wow thank you so much for your answer and opinion. I was a little surprised at what the a/c might cost. I will definiely want to find out exactly how much that's going to cost before I decide to purchase this car. I actually googled 1999 nissan maxima tires and that same website popped up, and that is where I priced tires for this car. Thanks again, I will keep looking around to keep my options open. So in your opinion less miles the better?
Sunday, August 30th, 2009 AT 8:01 PM
IMPALASS
Hello -

Tricky question. Less miles are better unless someone is trying to unload a problem.

You appear to need a good dependable vehicle so you and the little one don't get stranded. Of course I purchased a vehicle - ran it on the machines did a good look over and 1000 miles later I was pulling the heads off.

So. You need to look around at a low mileage car and then do some research on it. Not sure what you can spend but places like CarMax or other places that can show you the history of the vehicle on a carfax.

If you know the person and they took care of it then that is a good thing too.

Have someone that knows about vehicles go with you to look it over or take it to your dependable mechanic and have them check it over.

What are you driving now that determines to get a different car?
Sunday, August 30th, 2009 AT 9:05 PM